I work in Home Improvement and when I heard about this CD I had to listen to it. Essentially it’s Christmas songs created by miscellaneous tools, drills and saws. It’s an interesting concept at least. If you were thrown into a Home Depot and forced to write a Christmas song with no instruments this is what you would come up with.
Woody Phillips is behind this creation and surprisingly it’s not bad; I’ve definitely heard worse Christmas albums. The man must be pretty musically gifted to be able to cover the songs with such limited materials. I’m pretty happy I was shocked with this one, on first instinct I though it was going to be awful. What I like about it is that the album is very diverse in songs, it’s not cookie cutter with the song selections. Most of the music follows the original scores to the letter and sounds pleasant to listen to, although some of the drill and saw sound effects will make you weary after a few listens. It also doesn’t exploit the concept so much that it becomes cheesy, on first listen you’ll have a hard time figuring out what he’s using to create the music. That could just be me though having to listen to them all day anyway. Why buy this though? I don’t know? It certainly is a good novelty present. Whatever your reasons this would make an excellent gift to the tool loving men/women in your lives, your bound to get at least a few laughs out of it.
Sorry there weren’t any You Tube videos available for this artist so I’m using amazon’s clip widget thingy.
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Would be really good without the drill)
Full Track Listing:
1. Jingle Bells: 2x4s, nails, saw, hammer, circular saw, pipes, spray paint can, ratchet, musical saw
2.Deck the Halls: pipes, nails, 2x4s, saw, hammer, drill, duct tape, anvil, plane, ratchet, power screwdriver
3. The Twelve Days of Christmas: hammer, flute, saw, duct tape, ratchet, pipes, oboe, power screwdriver, English horn, cello, pneumatic nailer, mandolin, circular saw, power sander, power drill, table saw, chain saw
4. Joy to the World: table saws, pipes, ratchet, power drill, power screwdriver, 2x4s, plane, hammer, saw, power mitre box, anvil, framing square, t-square
5. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy: antique hand drill, hammer, mandolin, anvil, t-square, framing square, level, pipes, bottles, 2x4s, table saw, power hand drill, drill press
6. Ding Dong Merrily on High: pipes, anvil, ratchet, hammered dulcimers, cellos, electric drills, hammer, saw
7. I Saw Three Ships: tape measure, saw, hammer, drill press, 2x4s, power planer, table saw
8. Patapan: pneumatic nailer, hammer, brake drums, anvil, 50-gallon drum, nails
9. Good King Wenceslas: drill press, bag of nails, saw, hammer, power drill, hammered dulcimer, organ, power planer, table saw
10. Ukrainian Carol: power screwdriver, anvil, pipes, brake drums, table saw, ratchet
11. Wassail Suite: pop tops, saw, nails, 2x4s, bottles, ratchet, hammer, mandolin, pipes, vacuum
12. We Wish You a Merry Christmas: pipes, 2x4s, strings, English horn, cello, hammer, saw, oboe, bottles, ratchet
13. Auld Lang Syne: vacuum, broom, musical saw, mandolin, jig saw blades (plucked), table saw, 2x4s, pipes